Skip to main content

Being An Orphan- My Experience

I'm not sure what the true test of life is, but death is trulyone of the exams. I have learned so much, and regretted so much.I have reflected and pondered and am still at a loss. When my dad died, I had lost a parent. When my mom died, I lost a family....Mom was the one who kept my siblings and me together, and made us feel like we still had a home, and a parents love and in a way was the link to most relatives. When she went, so did that feeling. Confusion and loneliness is an understatement. It was terrifying. Someone said that "when we lose a parent we lose partof ourselves, we lose our childhood, and our youth is behind usforever. This is a Grief in itself." The death of a parent shakes the very foundation of our lives and the death of both parents means having to stand alone...as a fully fledged adult.Losing both parents has become a spur to review my priorities and values. Suddenly wealth and possessions are not the be all and end all to me, having family, being rooted in the Lord, doing things I love to do like reading a good book with a glass of wine by the side etc are the most valuable things now.I still think about them everyday. I still yearn for their pride,their approval and just assume it is there. I want to do well and make them proud. It hurts though that they will not be there to see me get married, celebrate the births of my children and my
children will never know them. My parents will never be there to share my successes and failures and future joys and sorrows. I know they have become heavenly spectators and are looking down on me with a tear in their eyes spurring me on to keep running therace....because that's just how parents are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Somebody almost walked off with all of my stuff (For Colored Girls)

As many times as I’ve heard this poem. It moved me like never before at this point in my life. I almost lost it all. I almost made the choice to lose it all. I almost gave another total control of my future. I almost allowed him to walk away with my sanity, my self worth, and my life. I became unrecognizable and yet God was doing so much in my life.Taking me to world platforms, opening great and effectual doors and taking my gifts before Kings and yet I was casting my pearls before swines. He was so broken and I thought I could save him but in the end both of us needed to be saved.  So often we give so much of our self to one person till there's nothing left for you and you realize you gave some body all your stuff they didn't even have to take it. This is not the full poem I shortened it and personalised it.  Hope it inspires someone to get your stuff back! Somebody almost walked off with all of my stuff (For Colored Girls) ***I personalised and added my own n

The Grace on my life....

But by the  grace  of God I am what I am-  1 Corinthians 15:10 From as far as I can remember even as a little girl the grace of God has always been on my life in such a distinct way. It has been so distinct that it resulted in me being misunderstood and rejected by family and friends and left me apologetic for its presence in my life. By the end of my first term of first grade I had taught myself to read and I  read an entire high school novel and narrated the whole story in the novel to my parents who were shocked at my abilities. By second grade I was reading newspapers with my dad and he liked to move around with me showing off that his 7 year old could read a newspaper. By the time I was in third grade teachers marvelled at my reading abilities.I still have my report cards which say that at the age of 8 I actually read like a 13 year old! I was top of the class; on the few occasions I came second  was inconsolable. I excelled in swimming, hockey and athletics and drama an